World Philosophy Day
CJC World Philosophy Day Essay Writing Competition - 2018
NOTE: This competition is open to all current JC1 Students who have just completed their Promotional Examinations; Organized in celebration of World Philosophy Day - 15th November, 2018;
The contemporary philosopher, Anthony Grayling, believes that philosophy should play a useful role in society (not just in academia).
A philosophy essay by its very nature involves critical thinking, logical reasoning, and conceptual analysis – as critical thinking and rational argumentation are characteristic methods of philosophical inquiry.
Write an essay in response to ONE of the following questions:
1) Given that our world is so full of different beliefs and viewpoints, how can we find peace in our shared humanity?
2) 'Our world no longer has any respect for truth.' Critically assess this view.
3) 'We live in a culture of immaturity.' Critically assess this view.
4) 'Through genetic engineering, we can modify moral behaviour and make a better world'. Critically assess this view.
5) 'Pluralism is the view that there can be more than one true story of the world.' Critically assess this perspective.
Guidelines and requirements for writing your Philosophy Essay:
Length of Essay: Minimum of 800 to maximum of 1500 words (feel free to exceed if need be);
Your philosophy essay is an argumentative defense of your adopted Thesis – in which the thesis is clearly stated, explained and analyzed; arguments are rationally presented in support of the thesis; possible objections (counter-arguments) are fairly considered, carefully evaluated, and rationally refuted.
Your philosophical essay thus has five component parts:
1 The effective formulation of the Thesis – stated clearly in the introduction;2 The arguments (reasons and evidence) in support and defense of the Thesis;
3 Careful critical consideration and evaluation of counter-arguments and counter-examples / objections;
4 Refutation of counter-arguments / objections;
5 Effective conclusion - final thoughts / closing remarks;
Submit Essay in hard copy as a word document - Times New Roman, font size 12;
Indicate on a cover page: Name in full; Identity Number, and Tutorial Group;
Declaration with signature that – ‘This essay is my own work’ (not plagiarized);
Submission Date: Friday 11th January, 2019
Teacher-in-Charge: Mr. David L Fahy (Senior Teacher), English Department, CJC